Friday, August 23, 2013

Lacey Flower Headband - Mammy Made


Hi everyone. I'm Adele and I live in England with my two gorgeous babies, Leyla who is 4 and Naomie who is 2. I am so excited to be contributing to Inspiration Cafe again today!


I usually blog over at Mammy Made. I like to write about crafting, cooking and homeschooling, although I am only homeschooling part time at the minute. I have tons of tutorials on there so come by and say hi, I’d love to see you! I am also currently blogging about growing vegetables in my small back yard so come and check that out if you would like to give it a go :)



This month I want to share a cute little headband I made for my youngest daughter last year. I wanted a nice quick and easy craft to do during naptime and I had this stretchy lace that I had been dying to make into a headband with a something on. I cut my stretchy lace to 16.5" since that was just nice on my eighteen month old's head. You want it to be a little bit stretched when it is on or it will fall off. Cut your lace to your baby's head measurement then you will lose some of that length when you overlap your pieces to glue together. This should make the headband just the right size to fit nicely on your baby's head :)


Heat up your glue gun then apply a dot of glue to one end of the lace. Make sure your lace is not twisted, then press your second end onto the glued end. I held mine together with a peg so I wouldn't have to do it with my fingers and potentially burn myself.

I left mine to dry then double checked it fit my little girl's head. Feel free to make adjustments here if it is not a perfect fit.



While I was waiting for my glue to dry, I started making the flower. I used some hot pink DK yarn I had lying around and a 4.5mm crochet hook.

To make the flower:
1. make a magic loop, ch3 and work 11dcs in loop, join with sl st in top of ch 3 (12)
2. ch1, turn, sc in same st, *ch4, sk1st, work sc in next st* around, end with sl st in 1st sc
3. ch1, turn, work (sc, hdc, dc, dc, hdc, sc) in each loop around, join with sl st in 1st sc, bind off and weave in ends. (While weaving my middle end of yarn in, I attached a white button with a simple cross then weaved in a bit more and tied a knot to secure.)

Next I made the back of the flower using a 4mm crochet hook (I used a smaller hook so it would be slightly smaller than on the flower, I didn't want to be able to see it from the front) and the same yarn:

To make the back piece:
1. make a magic loop, ch3 and work 11dcs in loop, join with sl st in top of ch 3, bind off and weave in ends. (12)


Lay your flower right side down, lay the join of the lace on top, then add the back of the flower right side up. Either hot glue or stitch down. I stitched since this was my first time using the glue gun and I wasn't totally sure of my abilities ;)


And there you have it. A lacey flower headband :D

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial. Thank you so much to everyone behind Inspiration Cafe for letting me contribute again. It's been fun!

4 comments:

  1. So cute - I love this Adele - my girls would love one - wish I could crochet :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As cute as can be! I still haven't mastered the art of crocheting! I think these would be cute on gifts as well..instead of a bow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you call it a magic loop. Makes crochet sound so much more fantastic. :) I think this is so cute and would look great on my little girls...you could just ship it on over.

    ReplyDelete