Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sewing Machine Cover Tutorial - Clippie Dips

Hello all! It's Amy  again! And today I'm going to show you how to make this pretty little sewing machine cover!

Meet Molly. She's quite possibly one of my best friends. I've had her for a couple years and the poor girl has never had a cover. Gasp! I know.


I thought it was high time I made her one and this is how I did it!

Supplies
-3/4 yd outer fabric
-1/2 yd for ruffles
-scrap fabric for letters and large scrap for lining
-4 pieces of 20" long ribbon
-sewing machine and thread
-heat n bond lite
-scissors
-iron
-rotary cutter and mat (optional)

Before we can start, you'll need to measure your sewing machine. Be sure to measure at the widest part. For the sake of this tutorial, we'll use my measurements.

My sewing machine is 18" across the bottom. To get the other measurement you'll need to measure from the bottom of your machine all the way across the top and down to the bottom of the other side. This measurement for me was 28".

Adding in seam allowances, for my measurements, I'm going to:

CUT
(2) 6 1/2" x 29 1/2" outer fabric
(1) 8 1/2" x 29 1/2" outer fabric
(4) 4" x 30" strips for ruffles
Print the letters and cut them out

1.) Cut a piece of scrap fabric big enough to arrange all the letters on.

2.) Cut a piece of heat n bond slightly smaller than the fabric piece you just cut and iron it onto the backside of the fabric. Trace your letters onto the heat n bond side, making sure to trace them BACKWARDS.
 3.) Cut them out and set aside.

Now let's get our ruffles ready.

4.) Take (2) of the 4" x 30" strips and place them right sides together, then sew together on the short side. Do the same with the other 2 ruffle strips.

5.) Take both ruffles to the ironing board and press seams open. Then fold strips in half, wrong sides together and press.
6.) Set your machine to it's longest stitch. Mine was 6.0.

7.) Sew 2 rows of stitching all the way down the long open ended side of the two strips you just ironed. I stitched at 1/8" and 1/4". Do NOT back stitch and remember to leave a few extra inches of thread at the beginning and end of your stitching.
8.) Start pulling one of your threads until the ruffling begins. Continue to do so until your ruffle is 29 1/2" long. Do the same with the other ruffle piece. (Also can be see in step 7)

9.) Take one of the 6 1/2" x 29 1/2" pieces and place a ruffle along the edge. Pin and sew 1/8" seam from the edge. I like to do this so my ruffles don't move and I know they're tacked down. Do this for the other ruffle with the other 6 1/2" piece.


10.) Now you should have 3 pieces as shown.


11.) Take piece B, flip it over and place it right side down onto piece A and sew where indicated. (Tip: Make sure you use enough seam allowance to cover the stitching used for your ruffles.)

12.) Open it up, press if you like, and topstitch as shown.

13.) Flip piece C over onto piece B, right sides together and sew just like you did in the previous step. Open, press ad topstitch again here as well.


14.) Fold your cover in half and arrange  your applique letters as shown. Iron in place.


15.) Come back to your machine and sew the letters in place. I used a straight stitch very close to the edge.


16.) Measure your cover and then cut a piece of fabric the same size...this will be your lining. because this is just a sewing machine cover, I'm not going to bother with interfacing, but you could easily add it if you wanted to.

17.) Take a piece of your ribbon and place it 9" up from the bottom. Pin. Place another ribbon 9" up on the other side directly across from it. Take the other 2 pieces of ribbon and the same thing on the other end. then pin the excess ribbon in the middles so it's out of the way.


18.) Place your completed front right side up on your work area and then put the lining piece right side down on top. Pin all the way around and sew as indicated leaving a 6" opening for turning.


19.) Clip the corners, then reach inside and pull out the pins used to hold the ribbons in place. Then turn right side out.


20.) Once right side out, iron and then topstitch all the way around, closing the opening as you go!

DONE!

Isn't Molly beautiful?!!



*FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY*



6 comments:

  1. So cute Amy thanks for sharing at the cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is really cute! My sewing machine is named Damien...for all of the reasons you would name something evil. Maybe a cute cover would tame him a little. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial and thank you for posting here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's super cute Amy!!!!

    Mel, thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy, I love this!! My sewing machine is a great friend and I don't have a cover either, I also don't have a name for him/her either. How to determine my machine's sex? Do I peek under the bobbin? hehe I mean, I would want to customize the cover for the gender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super duper cute! And I love that Molly got to help make her own dress! I'm glad I'm not the only one who names things...

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! I love this cover :) I don't have a sewing machine or know how to sew...that's on my learn to do list. When I do get one and learn to use sewing machine, this can be one of the first things I do! Thanks for great tutorial and wonderful share at the Cafe!

    ReplyDelete